So I know I’ve been a bad blogger lately…I’ve also been a bad reader, but you know how it goes. I still need to review The Poisonwood Bible before Barbara Kingsolver’s story flies from my brain, but hopefully that comes this weekend.
As for now, it’s Friday night. My favorite day. I know what you’re saying, “It’s everyone’s favorite day, silly.” But I’ve got my reasons besides the fact that it’s the end of the work week and beginning of the weekend:
- I start work at 9 a.m., instead of 7:30 or 8:30, so I get to do this crazy thing called sleep in.
- Even though I start work late, I like to get to campus early so I can enjoy my weekly Starbucks, the only time I drink fancy coffee anymore. If I’m lucky, I can steal a few minutes to read amid all the students.
- I only work til 2 p.m. on Fridays, and I only go to one job, instead of two.
- The hope is that I’ve finished all my important homework-ing earlier in the week, so I try to avoid all schoolwork like the plague.
- I do a little bit of cleaning and picking up on Friday afternoons, which make me (and my house) feel a little less grimy and more with-it.
- Getting home earlier than 6 means I can go to the gym and not be swarmed by dudes.
- J and I stay in, make a fancy dinner (tonight we’re making these Chinese pork buns…omg), pour ourselves a few drinks, pop in a movie, read a book … do a whole lot of everything that’s meaningful to us.
One of my other favorite Friday routines is checking out the various round-ups my favorite bloggers post on Fridays. I guess that’s a thing in the blog-o-sphere…people posting links of cool things they found throughout the week. I don’t have the time to do it, but I like it. They give me a chance to escape, find pretty things, laugh, discover something new, and give my brain a break at the end of the week.
In the spirit of list-making, here’s a few of my favorite bloggers and their round-ups of wonderfulness from around the Internet:
- A Cup of Jo – I don’t know Joanna, but man do I love this woman. I want to be her friend. Some of my favorite Cup of Jo posts include the Beauty Routines and the Mothers from Around the World series, but her Friday round-ups are quite lovely.
- Small Measure – Speaking of women who I want to be friends with, Small Measure’s Ashley English is at the top of this list. Her round-ups are typically focused more on food, parenting, and all things natural living, but I love her voice and warm spirit that pervades her blog.
- Cupcakes and Cashmere – Not going to lie, when I first saw the entertaining book put out by the creator of the Cupcakes and Cashmere blog, I thought it was a little too silly and “pink” for my taste. However, I’m now a big fan of Emily and her adorable blog, and I adore her style and beauty posts. She puts out a link post once a week, and it’s always a good bet.
- Design*Sponge – I think Design*Sponge’s Friday list posts are bit too “jumping on the blog bandwagon”, though I always like to check out this design site on Friday to see what’s been posted throughout the week, especially the Sneak Peeks.
And let’s not forgetting serious Pinterest-ing while wrapped in a blanket. Ah, Fridays.