- Date began: Jan. 16, 2012
- Genre: Fiction
- Project: n/a
- Reading list: National Book Award for Fiction
- Got it: I believe I picked up this bad boy at our library’s book sale for a cool $1. I thought it kind of strange considering it’s so new, but also a little sad since the author had just visited our library a few months ago. Clearly, someone didn’t like it very much.
- Why I picked it up: It’s a National Book Award winner, so I’m always on the lookout for that. And it’s recent, and I rarely read new books. Might as well start somewhere.
- Back of the book: Tom Hansel has a plan: run four horses, all better than they look on paper, at long odds at Indian Mound Downs, then grab the purse — or cash a bet — and get out before anyone’s the wiser. At his side is Maggie Koderer, who finds herself powerfully drawn to the gorgeous, used-up animals of the cheap track. She also lands in the crosshairs of leading trainers Joe Dale Bigg. But as news of Tommy’s plan spreads from veteran groom Medicine Ed to loan shark Two-Tie to Kidstuff the blacksmith, it’s Maggie not Tommy or the handlers of legendary stakes horse Lord of Misrule, who will find what’s valuable in a world where everything has a price.