- Date began: Oct. 30, 2011
- Genre: Fiction
- Project: n/a
- Reading List: Fall 2011, Pulitzer Prize winners,
- Got it: Another $1 find at the Baldwin Public Library book sale
- Why I picked it up: Why, with that big shiny “Winner of the Pulitzer Prize” badge on the front, how could I pass it up?
- Back of the book: At 36, Quoyle, a third-rate newspaperman, is wrenched violently out of his workaday life when his two-timing wife meets her just deserts. He retreats with his two daughters to his ancestral home on the starkly beautiful Newfoundland coast, where a rich cast of local characters all play a part in Quoyle’s struggle to reclaim his life. As three generations of his family cobble up new lives, Quoyle confronts his private demons — and the unpredictable forces of nature and society — and begins to see the possibility of love without pain or misery.