- Date began: Oct. 2, 2011
- Genre: History, True Crime
- Project: n/a
- Reading list: Fall 2011, Rory’s Reading List
- Got it: For $1 at Baldwin Public Library’s semi-annual book sale (score!)
- Why I picked it up: I’ve heard of The Devil in the White City for awhile now, so when I saw it in near pristine condition at the used book sale, well, I couldn’t help myself. Plus, it’s just one of those books you want to have said you’ve read — ya know?
- Back of the book: Bringing Chicago circa 1893 to vivid life, Erik Larson’s spell-binding bestseller intertwines the true tale of two men — the brilliant architect behind the legendary 1893 World’s Fair, striving to secure America’s place in the world; and the cunning serial killer who used the fair to lure his victims to their death. Combining meticulous research with nail-biting storytelling, Erik Larson has crafted a narrative with all the wonder of newly discovered history and the thrills of the best fiction.